Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Singers



Last night, in a rare opportunity of "quality time" with the kids, we played a game and then moved on to singing karaoke (at which point Hayley returned to her SIMS game on the computer - no singing for her!). Hannah and Harrison have been blessed with the rare gift of a decent singing voice (not inherited, I assure you, by either their father or I!). I mean, I like to sing and I don't sound like a dying cat, but let's just say there won't be any recording contracts in my future. However, these two possess something I don't and I'm amazed when I hear them sing. They belted out "The Star Spangled Banner" and it was amazing! They sang "Hero" and almost made me cry. Hannah sang "My Immortal", despite a sore throat and an ear that was clogged with pool water so that she couldn't hear herself sing, and it still was incredible. Now, if there is one talent I'd love to possess, it's singing. I've always wished I could sing in an amazing voice. Instead, I sing in an average voice with a limited range. Sure, it was adequate when I was singing "The Hayley Song" to her when she was a baby, and it's kind of funny when I do my version of "Shortenin' Bread" (especially in the middle of antique store in Snohomish), and I can "Bust a Move" on karaoke like nobody's business, but am I a singer? Decidedly not. Does it stop me from singing? Sadly, for the general public, no. But I'm really tickled to have these singing kids and I hope it takes them far. Perhaps not "American Idol" far, but far enough that they have this wonderful talent that sets them apart from the crowd, and perhaps entertains their own kids in the future - I have no doubt their lullabies will sound a lot sweeter to their kids' ears!

No comments: