Friday, August 29, 2008

More Book Reviews!

Ok, I've read a few more books in the past two months, so thought I'd offer a few more reviews:
"Love Walked In" by Marisa de los Santos - this book is about a waitress at a diner who meets the man of her dreams when he walks into the diner, and then she finds out he has a daughter, who's mother has abandoned her in the throes of a mental breakdown. The story follows her relationship with the daughter and how it grows. Cute story, but I didn't like the ending.
"A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini - this was a GREAT book by the author of "The Kite Runner" and every bit as good, if not better, than his debut novel. The story follows two women over about thirty years in Afghanistan during the Soviet invasion, through the Taliban, and up to today. It's full of tragedy and horrors one can barely imagine, and yet, it's a story of perseverence. I loved it!
"Marley and Me" by John Grogan. A story about a man and his (very bad) dog. After reading this story I've been a lot nicer to Shade, our own (very bad) dog, and he's become my best friend, following me around the house, and sleeping on the floor beside my bed. I never knew I was such a dog-lover. What is happening to me? Thanks Mr. Grogan.
"Oh My Stars" by Lorna Landvik. For some reason, I really like this author. I've read three of her other books - "Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons", "Patty Jane's House of Curl" and "Your Oasis on Flame Lake". This book follows Violet, a young, homely, one-armed girl during the Depression years. Violet is on a bus to San Francisco where she plans to jump off the Golden Gate bridge and end her life, when her bus crashes in North Dakota. The passengers are rescued by two men, and that starts off a chain of events that leads to fame and fortune. Very readable. Landvik has a great way of making her characters likable and real.
Currently reading "Burnt Toast" by Teri Hatcher. So far it's mostly about not eating the burnt toast, which, metaphorically speaking, means not taking the crappy stuff and believing you are good enough to get the nice, golden, hot, buttered toast, just like everyone else. Can I get a big "hell yeah?" She's not the greatest writer and her insecurities practically jump from the pages, but it's got some potential.......I'll keep reading it.

No comments: