Thursday, October 16, 2008

The 40-Year-Old Nanny


I have a new job! After waiting forever to get hired again by the school I've been subbing at, I was perusing Craig's List and stumbled upon a nanny/babysitting job that had the perfect days and hours I was looking for. The pay was better than I've been getting at the school district and the family was so nice and laid-back, and it turns out they are moving in Dec. right up the street from me! As it is, they live 15 minutes away, so it was convenient already. The job is relatively easy - provide child care for the 19 month old while mom takes the 3 1/2 year old to various therapies (she is developmentally delayed and has vision problems due to an injury at birth). On Fridays, I have both girls for a few hours while the mom gets her errands done, etc. They are both adorable, sweet little girls, really easy to care for and the parents are genuinely nice and accomodating. They were willing to work around appointments I had previously scheduled and are very flexible. So, it seemed to be a perfect fit! Ironically, the day after I started this job, the school called me for an interview. But I will make more money working 15 hours a week at the nanny job than I would working 20 hours a week at the school. It's a no-brainer! And we can really use the paycheck. Plus, I forgot how fun it is to be with little kids, reading board books, singing along to nursery rhymes and how sweet they are when they're tired and ready for a nap! It's my baby fix. I never thought I'd get back into child care in this venue (thinking I'd just keep working at the school district) but it's a welcome change. My days and hours are more set and there's no annoying phone calls at all hours for potential sub jobs. So, we'll see how it works out! I'm happy because I get to go to yoga on my days off, plus have a couple of days during the week to just do everything I need to do around here. Although I did put the baby's diaper on backward the first time. It's been a few years............

1 comment:

Hayley said...

My mom, the nanny! *wipes eyes* I'm so proud! =) But even I don't put diapers on backwards...LOL! XOXO!