Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Mooommmm!!! I need 24 cupcakes for.........work?


You know those comics that show a little kid waking up his mom in the middle of the night saying "I forgot I need 24 cupcakes for the class party tomorrow!" Or, "I need a turkey costume by tonight!". Well, to give him credit, Jeff did ask me for this favor yesterday, not today, and the items needed are tomorrow, so I at least had a day's notice (not that it made me work any faster!). I expect to make cupcakes for a 4th grade classroom, but for my 40 year old husband? For his Toastmaster's group? Turns out he is "snackmaster" (they really take this "master" thing too far), and in charge of "table topics" which are somewhat like conversation starters in which people have to spontaneously talk about a subject without the benefit of preparation. So, Jeff gets the idea to bring cupcakes for the snack and make one of those boxes where you stick your hand in and feel gross stuff (Halloween theme here!). He's asleep, by the way, and I just finished putting the final touches on the cupcakes and covering the boxes. Yes, two of them. I made up six things to touch - eyeballs (peeled grapes covered in hair gel), fingers (baby carrots covered in hair gel), entrails (spaghetti covered in hair gel), kidneys (small bell peppers covered in hair gel), slime (cornstarch and water), and brain matter (mashed peas). I put everything in loaf pans and lined them up in the boxes, then cut holes in the top to put your hand through. I covered the top of the boxes with an old towel. He's going to have people stick their hand in and talk for one minute about what they think they're touching. I'm thinking, this meeting is happening in the middle of the work day. People will be dressed in business attire. And they will leave with their hands smelling like hair gel and mashed peas. Gross. But funny. It reminded me of when we were kids and we'd make a "Haunted House" in our garage. We made a "maze" to crawl through with big appliance boxes. Some had things hanging down to drag through your hair, some had holes where you had to feel gross stuff, and we even had a "strobe light" room (a box covered in tinfoil in which blinking white Christmas lights were hung). We were SO cool with our haunted house! Hopefully Jeff will be as cool with his cupcakes and "icky box". (By the way, those are not MY cupcakes in the photos - mine are not nearly as cool!).

4 comments:

Shelly B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shelly B said...

Here I kept reading and looking at the picture making mental notes on those cupcakes thinking I can make those. Then thinking not really I'm not as creative as Mary-Leah, she got the Ommie gene not me. Then you go and spoil it and tell us you didn't make them.

Let us know how Jeff's meeting goes. I think everyone will get a big kick out of the box of grossness.

Shelly B said...

Whoops I deleted my first post. Wasn't paying attention to what I was doing, someone came up to my desk. That's what I get for being online at work.

Anonymous said...

Thanks again. You're awesome! Everyon loved the TT and the cupcakes - even shade - paper and all.