Saturday, February 21, 2009

San Francisco Day Two!











Day two in San Francisco dawned early (thanks to Jeff and his alarm clock) so I got up to check email, blog, Facebook, clean up the room, and was still out on the streets by 9:30 a.m.
I headed to Chinatown first. After hiking up two steep hills to get there from the hotel, I remembered I was going to get coffee and quickly found a Starbucks. I bought my coffee and for some reason, two pastries (not that I even needed one!). I ate a bear claw and drank my coffee and before I was done, this spontaneous "dragon parade" started coming down the street. Teenaged kids wore the dragon costumes and danced in and out of stores and up and down streets for over two hours! Other teenagers provided the music (drums and cymbals) and a couple of older men periodically lit firecrackers that made quite a racket. So, thats was my first introduction to Chinatown (after the dead mouse I saw upon entering the district!).
Then, I started walking along Grant street looking at the zillions of stores and their offerings. Paper umbrellas, good luck cats, backscratchers, t-shirts, jewelry, pretty much anything you wanted was for sale along the streets in hundreds of small stores. I decided to wait to purchase anything until I had seen the whole street. I walked to where Chinatown intersects with North Beach (Little Italy). Then, of course, I had to explore THAT district. I was faced with a big dilemma - Chinese or Italian for lunch? I decided Chinese and headed back to Chinatown. Earlier a girl in a Chinese hat had handed me a coupon for Chinatown Restaurant, so I went there. It was good, a nicer restaurant and good food (compared to the numerous restaurants along the streets!) Then, I started my shopping in earnest. I didn't even really know what I was looking for, but I found it! :) It's overwhelming how much stuff is in the stores. I found souveniers for the kids and even splurged a little on myself (some new scarves and a coveted luggage set I've had my eye on in Seattle that was half price in Chinatown!).
I had so much fun just wandering with no agenda, no time frame and no one else to consider. It was the ultimate selfish shopping excursion. I wandered for miles again, just like yesterday (and I started the day out by saying I was NOT going to walk so far) so tonight, once again, my feet hurt. But it was worth the fun.
The day was capped off by dinner - this time it was not so great. We went to an Italian restaurant (yay, because I had chosen Chinese over Italian for lunch) but it was mediocre at best. Can't wait till tomorrow to squeeze in the last of my tourist time here before heading to the airport! Oh, and that second pastry I bought? Must have been providence because I passed by a homeless man who looked like a walking skeleton and gave it to him. He was most appreciative and I was glad I didn't eat it! I could have spent a week just in Chinatown and not seen it all. I might even go back tomorrow! :)




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How cool!! I love the fact that you have taken advatage of your opportunities to travel when Jeff has had these trainings. Very smart of you!! Your pictures are amazing too. How lucky to be at the right place at the right time for the parade! And dining by yourself... how very grown up!! haha!