Saturday, February 7, 2009

Toil and Trouble

As I write this Jeff is in the kitchen, slaving away, making tonight's dinner PLUS dinners for two more nights. Now, I say "slaving away" because to me, that's what cooking is - toil and trouble. Not fun! But for Jeff it's like zen. In fact, he's even happier if I don't bug him during this time (all the better for me!) I don't really get it - I mean, I CAN cook, I just don't particularly enjoy it. Oh sure, it's nice to get a meal together and put it on the table all pretty (presentation is everything!), but I am just not skilled at bringing it all together at once, hot and ready to eat, and looking like a restaurant meal. This, Jeff can do. So, I say let's all embrace our gifts and Jeff can cook and I'll blog.

Of course, I am the happy recepient of said meals and it's a very lovely thing to sit down to a beautiful meal. I feel like I eat in a restaurant most nights, and especially the nights the kids are gone, because that's when Jeff has more time and freedom to experiment with new recipes. And he knows it will be appreciated and not met with an "ick" from ungrateful children! (You know who you are, you who are reading this!) I, personally, love it and feel like it's the most pampered thing in the world! I once took a survey that asked if you could have one thing forever - a maid, chauffer or cook, which would you choose? And I chose a cook! And lo and behold, not a few years later, I married one! (He's not a bad maid, either, when pressed into service, and of course, he drives everywhere so, I guess I got a three-for-one).

Tonight he's cooking buffalo steaks. I have never eaten buffalo, I don't think, so this should be interesting. I'm not much of a meat eater, so on the infrequent occasions we do eat red meat, it's a pretty good treat! But buffalo? Just sounds kind of weird. But I'm up for trying anything. In fact, just this afternoon I requested my favorite tomato basil soup from Safeway. Jeff went to Fred Meyer instead and found a similar (he thought) soup and brought that home, heated it up and brought it to me. Well, it was tomato gorgonzola soup and I'm sorry to say, I HATE GORGONZOLA! To me, blue cheese, gorgonzola, any of those "stinky sock" cheeses have the most disgusting, musty, dirty laundry smelling taste. They are inedible!! Who thought of making a food that tastes like something old and dirty? Ick. Needless to say, I did not eat the soup (but I DID taste it). Gross, gross, gross.

I'm not even a picky eater, but there are a few things I just cannot stomach. Like those cheeses. And asparagus (but I'm legitimately allergic to them as well). Radishes are icky. And I'm not a huge fan of peppers (red, green, yellow). I despise lamb (also allergic to it). And I don't really have any desire to eat any type of bugs, no matter how fancy they are served. Or caviar. Which I've had but don't particularly like and can't get past the reality of what they are! But beyond that, I will try anything. I remember being 12 and seeing my parents eat an artichoke for the first time. They tried for over an hour to get me to taste it and when I finally did, I thought it was the best thing I ever tasted! They also fed me escargot once (and yes, those are bugs in my book!) but I believe I was duped into trying them.

Anyway, I heard the clatter of plates which is a good sign my buffalo steak is done! Dinner is served. Bon apetit!

2 comments:

Sydney said...

Good luck! I hope it went well.

MAMMA said...

I ate deer testicles once - I didn't know what they were BEFORE I ate them, but they were actually pretty good