Thursday, March 5, 2009

Distraction

A couple of days ago, I was getting ready to make a "to do" list and then decided to do a "have done" list instead. It was a LOT longer than my "to do" list (which, ironically, I crossed nothing off for the day). Anyway, here's my "have done" list for a random Monday. I didn't go to yoga this day because it was canceled, so I thought I had this whole, huge, promising day in front of me. Funny how time flies when you're doing the mundane.

- woke at 5:45 a.m. and made 4 lunches
- checked email
- paid bills
- called gas company to find out how to lower gas bill (nearly $300 the past two billings!)
- reprogrammed thermostat to reduce heat during the day and night (already hearing complaints about how freezing it is in the house - what 58 degrees is too cold for you?? haha, that's only at night and when we're not home, however, I forgot I have an unemployed husband - oops - who was home during the day)
- turned hot water heater down a smidge to save money there, too
- transferred money from severance pay to checking account to pay off credit card debt
- called cell phone company to change plan (previously mentioned unemployed husband racked up some serious minutes over the last month, driving cell phone bill up to $285!! Yikes!!!)
- paid cell phone bill online (sobbing quietly the whole time)
- paid off credit card debt (more audible sobs this time)
- made new chore charts for kids (mwahahaha)
- made list of rules to go over for family meeting
- put dinner in the crock pot
- dyed my gray roots (hey, we all have to do maintenance!)
- showered and dressed
- folded laundry, switched loads from washer to dryer, dryer to folded
- made bed, picked up room
- transferred work stuff to new backpack from sloppy tote bag
- cleaned out stair drawer (this is a chest of drawers with a drawer for each family member where "stuff" accumulates throughout the day/week that frequently needs to be "reissued" somewhere else)
- folded laundry, switched loads
- went to work for an hour (then Hayley came to relieve me)
- came home to grab some stuff, then picked up younger kids from school
- stopped at a store on the way to dr. to return $30 "breathing dogs" the kids spent their money on that didn't work
- took two younger kids to dr. for their well-child visits
- came home and finished dinner prep
- ate dinner with family (husband arrived from an out of town interview to find supper on the table - oh, the domesticity of it all!)
- had family meeting to discuss rules not being followed (peppered with snarky comments, sarcasm and lots of complaining, along with several smacks upside teenager's head who decided sleeping on the table was akin to "listening")
- checked email/Facebook
- watched "The Secret Life of The American Teenager" with the girls
- climbed into bed, fired up laptop and checked email/Facebook
- talked to husband about job interview that day
- fell asleep somewhere around 11 p.m.

See? It's amazing how satisfying it is to make a "have done" list. Besides, am I ever really going to "update scrapbooks" or "fix digital frame", both of which are on my "to do" list? Nah........I'll just wait until inspiration or some miracle hits and I've accomplished those tasks and then add them to my "have done" list! I have done a lot!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No wonder my hot shower the other day didn't seem all that hot. I don't need heat in the day. Heat is over rated.

MAMMA said...

We have had complaints for 5 years about how cold the house is in the winter and how hot it is in the summer. I prefer it too cold and go get a blanket or wear a sweatshirt. We have a lower heat bill than anyone I know (we cheat by using the woodstove on any days that will be 20 degrees or colder to supplement) You should tell your kids to beware complaining about the cold - Everyone is old enough to create heat, if they are cold, tell them you will find something active for them to do...I like scrubbing (floors, walls, door edges, or bathtub) Nothing works up heat like a cleaning frenzy!! Love, M2