Tuesday, March 10, 2009

We got a Wii!

Finally, we joined the ranks of........well.......EVERYONE it seems, and purchased a Wii gaming system. Now, I have NEVER played video games and can't even really work the controllers, so having an X-box the last several years was nothing to me. I had exactly ONE thing I did on it and that was a fitness program, which only required a few button pushes before running and then I could set the controller down and just watch the screen. But it seems everyone is Wii crazy and we tried it at a friend's house and loved it. The thing I like most is that everything requires standing up and moving, so much better than traditional video games or just watching TV. And it's FUN! And, best of all, I can actually DO IT. Yes, I can control these games (ok, my kids would beg to differ as it took me a while to make a Mii last night because I couldn't control the remote), and it's fun to play. I played golf last night (and I've never played golf in my life - not on TV or in real life) and it was fun, although I did "triple bogey" the first hole, which, even though I know nothing about golf, sounds pretty bad to me! But I beat Hannah at bowling (with many strikes - which in real life would be a miracle for me!). I'm excited to try some of the other games (oh, I did suck at tennis, which would also translate into real life). What I was really looking forward to was the Wii Fit, which is an exercise program. Everyone I know who has it loves it, so I wanted that addition, but alas, they were sold out at the two stores we tried. So, we will have to keep looking for that one. Bottom line is that we're hoping this gaming system will get the kids off their butts and doing something a little more calorie-burning than watching TV or sitting at the computer. We considered it an addition to our "home gym" which we are slowly building (a treadmill is next). And a little bonus prize for Jeff getting a job so quickly (thank you, tax return). I'm sure Wii are going to have a lot of fun with it!

3 comments:

Sydney said...

Yes, we LOVE our Wii. And Wii Fit is great once you can get your hands on it. You'll love all the Yoga! I know I do! :)

MAMMA said...

Try Target online for the Wii Fit and the Wii Sports one has a "training" program you can do and it keeps track of your progress. Try the boxing for a real cardio workout, but I only play that one while I am alone so I can pretend I am Muhamed Ali :-)
Love, M2

Shelly B said...

It won't take the kids long to figure out how to play the games while sitting down. CheyAnn is so lazy that she does the jogging on the Wii Fit by just shaking the controller. I love the boxing. It can really be a great work out if you want it to be.

We all need to exchange Wii numbers so we can message and play each other.