Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Waste not, pay not!

The title is one of my husband's favorite expressions. This is a guy who kept expired canned food for years and had spices dating back to his college days. So, this morning when I emptied a plastic container with a cracked lid, I threw the lid away and said "I think I'll keep the bottom of this for........." and before I could finish my sentence, he said "Oh my God, just throw it away, we have enough of that crap!" To which I replied "....a dog bowl for my car!" because sometimes when I take the dogs in my car they need water, and somehow, slurping droplets out of a water bottle cap just doesn't cut it for them! Geesh. He even teased me and said I was "like one of those people in the Depression" which I thought, so what? We practically ARE in a depression and why not reuse and recycle? I hate to just throw stuff away. I used to be a total pack rat, and some would say I still am, but I'm a LOT better than I used to be. I throw more away now than ever, and have no problem just packing up bags of stuff to give away - and actually TAKING it someplace to give it away. Thank goodness for those ReTex bins that you can toss bags of clothes and shoes into! I do like to give things to people I know who might be able to use them, but I'm not going to hang on to a pair of jeans for years just because I once fit in them. I weed more things now than ever and my next big project is the laundry room where I've stashed years' worth of craft supplies that I no longer want or need. But there is an upside to keeping stuff - I ALWAYS have something when the kids need this and that for a project, and I can come up with almost anything in an emergency to make a card, wrap a present, sew something, or do a school project. So heck yeah, I'm keeping the plastic container! Until it's cracked it will hold water just fine for my dogs!

1 comment:

Mimi/Papa said...

Send your "unwanted" craft items to Sydney! It will be "new" to her and she might find a lot of fun in using them! LOL I can't imagine your garage minus a couple of bins....hahahha