Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas craziness........

Today I took the girls' shopping for their "friend" gifts - well, Hayley mostly. Hannah was happy to pick up a few things at the Dollar Tree, but Hayley insisted on buying her friends things that they specifically asked for - such as scarves and leggings. What? I think it's ridiculous that kids feel they need to get several friends expensive gifts (especially since I'm sure most of these girls' parents are paying for said gifts - not something I budgeted for). When I was in high school, I maybe exchanged gifts with ONE friend, my best friend, and for the rest of my friends, I gave Christmas cards and attached a candy cane or a few Hershey kisses to the outside of the envelope. Simple, cheap and thoughtful. I just do not think kids should spend more than $5 on friends, with the exception if they have one really good friend with whom they exchange gifts for other occasions over the year. Or a friend gift should be homemade cookies. Something simple and inexpensive. The pressure to get just the right gift for several friends is just too much. I suggested to Hayley that she just get the same gift for everyone. She couldn't believe I would even suggest that! I've heard of plenty of friends who do just that. One year I had an Avon client order 20 "Angel" page-a-day calendars for her group of friends with whom she exchanged gifts. Theme gifts are fine, fun and keep things simple. I just hate the pressure that even our kids have finding just the right gift and not feeling "cheap" if their friends give them $10 Victoria's Secret lip glosses and they give a plate of homemade cookies. Isn't it still the THOUGHT that counts?

2 comments:

Pitchin Princess said...

Alyssa bought her two roommates (plus herself)tickets to see Rascal Flatts in Feb. Way to MUCH!!! I'm sure she didn't spend as much on the whole family total than she did for those tickets for two friends. It was her money that spent not mine so I can't say too much (but I do anyway LOL!!)

jeff said...

Simple and thoughtful -Hell Yeah!