Wednesday, March 31, 2010

How to Treat Your Kids Like Dirt

Tonight Hayley yelled at me "You treat me like dirt!" This was in response to a twenty minute tirade about how I was going to meet HER needs tomorrow by taking her to the DMV to renew her permit (I'd rather poke my eyes out than spend hours at the DMV and am only doing it because it's one of those unwritten crappy duties of parenting, and besides, it's HER fault she let her permit expire and hasn't shown any initiative to get her license yet!), then get her to school for an event she apparently volunteered for (she volunteered my punchbowl, too, wonder if I'll ever see THAT again, plus told the committee they could borrow our tricycle - WTF? We have not had a tricycle nor a kid who was small enough to ride one for over seven years now!). She then prattled in my ear about not having a bag big enough to pack all her stuff in for our trip to Idaho (hello? five days.....you don't need a steamer trunk!). THEN, when I politely asked her to please quit bugging me (ok, I said "you're intruding on my time" and "shut up" when the word hole kept flapping), she said "Why are you so mean to me? You treat me like dirt!" What the F? Let me think this over. Last Sunday we had a lovely mother/daughter jaunt to Target where I spent nearly $250 on clothes for her (we went there to get a birthday present for her friend! AND she overspent on that too....). I'm taking her on a vacation for spring break. I bought tickets to see CATS while we're in Boise. I brought her presents from my recent trip to San Francisco. I pack her a lunch every day. I drive her EVERYWHERE even though she's going to be 17 in July and could easily have her license by now. I cook her dinner. I give her money when she runs out to Jamba Juice with a friend. I pay for untold amounts of t-shirts, school spirit gear and fees for plays, ASB and the like. I let her have sleepovers with multiple friends, AND I buy snacks. For those things I receive incessant screaming, insults, drama and the inability to do chores. Hmm.......I do believe things are out of balance here. But hey, if that's getting treated like dirt, I'd like to try it!

1 comment:

Christinarina said...

No worries, in a few years she will come to see all that you do for her and she will be SO grateful for it!!