Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Just a quick trip......

Hayley, waiting in the car for me to finish shopping......

Today I went to pick Hayley up at school (because she still has not procured her own driver's license, thus I am still her taxi!), and as I left the driveway, sneaky Shade had slinked out and was about to go on a walk by himself in the neighborhood. I put the kebosh on that and lured him into the car - just a quick trip to the high school and a stop at the store. Well, upon arriving at the school, Hayley and I switched places so she could drive and she drove me to Fred Meyer to get some things. As usual, my list of six items grew to several when I realized I had several coupons about to expire which I wanted to use, so my trip took a little longer than expected, but all told I was in the store about 40 minutes. When I came back out, Hayley was hanging out, arm out the window, listening to some tunes. I tossed in the bags of groceries, which included a LOT of ice cream (coupons!) and she started the car. Well, she TRIED to start the car, but the car would not start. Huh? Dead battery? Just then a lady pulled up in a truck and I had Hayley ask her for a jump. She politely obliged and I decided this might be a good time to teach Hayley about a roadside emergency. Or not. First off, she got very loud and dramatic when I handed her the jumper cables (Oh my God, I am going to die! I'm going to get electrocuted! Do you really think I should do this? It's very dangerous! Mommy, mommy, mommy!). The lady suppressed a grin (or a grimace, I'm not sure) as I showed Hayley how to attach red to positive, black to negative. I sent her back in the car to turn the engine over. She exclaimed "the brake isn't working!" Duh. Tried to turn the car over and......nothing. I let the poor lady off the hook then, knowing it was going to take a lot longer to deal with. Next step? Call Jeff. After leaving the cables on and letting it charge a little longer, we were able to get it started. That's when we discovered Hayley had been listening to the radio, running the AC, AND had the lights on during the entire 40 minutes I was in the store. Hmmm.....lesson learned? The car battery is not an endless supply of power. It does get drained. And ice cream melts on a warm day in a hot car.

1 comment:

Mimi/Papa said...

I would have really had a good laugh if that woman had actually touched the cables and you yelled, 'Watch out!"....LOL Think Hayley has a little more to learn about driving, which also includes lessons such as this one and remembering to set the hand brake!!! hahahaah Love you!