Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Vacation's all I ever wanted........

Remember that song? "Vacation" by the....the....the....Go Go girls? Bananarama? I don't know.....one of those girly groups. I could Google it but why? Anyway.

We're on a sort of "vacation" in Portland. Jeff had another volunteer speaking engagement with the ACS so we jumped on the free hotel room. However, "free" is relative, because it's cost us big in restaurant food and entertainment. We spent the first day at the science museum, which was fun, and I got to reconnect with an old friend. I had carefully planned a few destinations to visit while in Portland - OMSI, the zoo, Pittock Mansion, Finnegan's toys, Powell's books.......but so far we've only made it to one of those. The second full day here, the kids just wanted to swim. Which is cool. Because the hotel had a nice pool. But since I didn't really feel the urge to stuff my ample self into my swimsuit and frolic in the chlorine-laced water, and Hannah had her fill of swimming the night before, we pretty much did nothing. Except watched a few episodes of "16 and Pregnant" and lazy-ed around. We sat by the pool for a while and made a lunch run to Burger King. And I was antsy because we weren't DOING anything, and so many people had told me I MUST visit Voodoo Donuts while in Portland and now we were WASTING a whole day..........but then again, it's vacation, right?

I'm always torn between DOING stuff and doing NOTHING on vacation. I mean, the whole point of a vacation is to relax, right? And when we take destination vacations, we rarely relax. We try to stuff so much into a precious few days, and feel bad for not making the most of the day, or sleeping in and missing the free breakfast, or just not having an agenda at all. Yesterday, I was feeling guilty for just wanting to take a nap in the middle of the day. I'm pretty sure I was tired because I was just bored, but then I thought, why NOT sleep? It's not like I get the luxury of napping every day.......why not take advantage of a time when there is no laundry, no cooking, no carting kids around to various destinations, no extra kids running through my house......and just nap?

So, here we are on our last day in Portland and we're heading to the zoo. We won't knock everything off our "list" but who cares? What about you? Do you like to fill up your vacations with doing, going, seeing or do you like to just relax and have no agenda?

1 comment:

Mimi/Papa said...

At this stage of the game of life, all I want to do is have an agenda full of NOTHING! If we want to do something, we can. If not, who cares and who is going to know if we do or don't anyway? Vacations are for relaxing unless you have gone to that destination spot, then you know you've already planned to 'DO' something while there! So...go ahead and take that nap! You deserve it!!!! Love you!!!