Friday, July 8, 2011

Get up and go.........

I have so much to do today and it's almost 1 p.m. and I'm still sitting in my sweaty workout clothes, blogging, instead of getting showered and ready to head out the door. Why is that? Why, when I have all the time in the world (seemingly) do I procrastinate and find a million other things to do and when I'm pressed for time, I try to cram way too much into the short window of opportunity and end up feeling less than accomplished? These are the thoughts that haunt me.......

But. I did do a treadmill workout, so I think that should almost give me a free pass to goof off the rest of the day. Because it was challenging.

However, there is a party tonight. My newly-minted adult "child" will be hosting her passel of friends and that requires a lot of pizza making, snack procurement, and the requested ice cream cake (did I order one in advance? I did not. She told me yesterday she wanted one!). Last year, she also wanted an ice cream cake (again, a last-minute request) and I sent Jeff to Dairy Queen to procure "anything". He took that quite literally, and feeling so proud of himself for finding an ice cream cake that said "Happy Birthday" on it, immediately plucked it up and brought it home. Only it was decorated all tribal-like with scary-looking Tikis on it and her party was a 20's theme. Thank God I had some leftover chocolate frosting with which I covered the offending Tiki decor. Whew. That is why, this year, I will be the one buying the ice cream cake (although at this late hour, I'm not expecting much and should probably buy some emergency frosting just in case).

I also have to return a bunch of stuff today. That is my least favorite thing to do. Jeff says I "must" like returning things because I'm willing to buy clothes without trying them on first. I usually only do that when I'm pressed for time, and it inevitably leads to a few returns. But the real bugger is that I have to return items to FIVE different stores and I HATE driving all over the place and standing in long lines just to return one or two items. Bleh. But I must. I need that money back in my checking account so I can buy more stuff!

Getting a late start just messes everything up. I know I'll be frantically trying to throw together pizzas, get snacks out, clean up whatever doesn't get cleaned before I get home, and basically being a food producing machine while a crowd of hungry teenagers mows their way through my kitchen. Ah well, I love 'em!

So, what gets you off track? What makes you procrastinate? I've accomplished a lot this morning, actually, but nothing of what I set out to do. My life is a series of unfinished projects. I get distracted by switching the laundry around, folding towels, paying bills, Facebook, checking my email, reading other people's blogs, uploading pictures, going through a random drawer or closet and reorganizing....so many things to get distracted by. I almost never watch TV and I don't play any online games. I know those are some biggies in the distraction world. I find the Nike adage "Just Do It" to be exceedingly difficult sometimes. But, here I go! Watch me......I'm going.......really I am...........

No comments: