For my children, and for anyone.......some words of wisdom...........
1. If you can't say something nice, don't say nothin' at all. This means don't waste your time or energy spewing negative comments about others. No one wants or needs to hear it. And it really does nothing but cause pain.
2. Kill 'em with kindness. If someone is treating you badly, don't stoop to their level and dish it right back. Be kind. Be nice. And they won't know what to do with themselves. It may not change things, but you'll know you were the best you could be.
3. If all your relationships seem to be falling apart or bringing you down, look for the common denominator. It's you.
4. The only thing you have the power to change is yourself and your attitude about things. If you don't like something you can either walk away from it, or change your attitude about it.
5. Your family, no matter how weird, dysfunctional or odd, is the only one you've got. You don't have to like them all the time but you do have to accept them, and their role in your life.
6. We always hurt the ones we love the most. Why? Because they are the most likely to forgive us. And...because we can. Try not to do this. You can't take back hurts.
7. Remember that just one word uttered in anger or at the wrong time can change things forever. Think before you speak.
8. Don't be afraid to be vulnerable. It's ok to say "I'm scared" or "I need help" or "I changed my mind".
9. Never underestimate the power of "I'm sorry". But don't put yourself in a situation where you have to say it too often.
10. Be careful with the words "you always" or "you never". Chances are neither are accurate.
11. Remember that everywhere you've been, everything you have and all you'll ever be was shaped and molded by many people. Appreciate that without them, you could never be where you are now. Don't take this for granted.
12. No matter what your age, remember that the world does NOT revolve around you. There will always be someone more needy, more in pain, smarter, prettier, better than you. You are good enough, but you share the world with a lot of other people and you will not always be first.
13.Be nice. Such a simple phrase, but really the most important thing you can do, every day, to ensure you are treated well and that you treat others well.
14. Life is not fair. It just isn't. Deal with it. There's no other way.
15. Optimism is your friend. Stay positive, accept changes and bumps in the road, and be flexible.