Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Shoulda........

Today I woke up early. Much too early. I went to bed at 1 a.m. and awoke at 5 a.m. For some reason, I am still awake, although I probably should have come home and gone to bed at 5 p.m. tonight to make up for the lost z's. I had set my alarm early to get up and help my 13-year-old get ready for school because she broke her thumb yesterday playing football. She's a cheerleader. Somehow I found this amusing. But not the fact that she broke her thumb or has to be in a splint for four weeks. So, I arose early to help with things like brushing hair. But then I realized my high schooler was not making the usual early morning noises (somewhere between a guttural groan and a grievous growl...haha, just kidding...) and I peeked into her room to see her still slumbering away ten minutes before the bus. Now, it was my turn to growl. Because her missing the bus just does not compute into my day. Her missing the bus means I have to drive her to her school twenty minutes away and then decide if I really have time to return home to get ready, or if I have to hurry and get ready far too early and then kill an hour before I head to work (who am I kidding - what a great excuse to hit Starbucks!).

Anyway, since I was hanging around for the junior high bus to see off my son and Gimpy Hand, I decided I could just give them a ride up to the bus stop. And then I decided I could just drive them to school. And then I decided (and I guess maybe I said it out loud) "Wouldn't it be nice if we all just played hooky today?" and there was a resounding "YES" from the passengers (as resounding as 7 a.m. on a school day can be). But, being the ever-responsible one (ugh, I hate that role!) I said "no" and gave them the booby prize of stopping for coffee at a stand on the way to school. And we parked in the parking lot at the junior high and finished our  coffees and wished for a day off.

And then we went to school and work. And it was just not nearly as fun as playing hooky. Not even close! We shoulda........

No comments: