Thursday, November 1, 2012

Can I have a shorter week, please?

I'm not complaining. I work four days a week, so Thursday IS my Friday. But, it's a damn good thing, because I am SPENT by Thursday. For some reason, my body can only take four days of my awesomeness and then it says "Whoa, there! Slow down!" which usually takes on the form of me trying to keep my eyes open while teaching kindergarteners and watching the clock to see if it's 12:15 yet and can I just put them on the bus, already?

So, today, being Thursday and all, was no exception. I was overly tired (which is pretty much my normal state these days - WHEN will I learn to go to bed earlier?) and last night we were out late. When it was time for me to go home from work, I was thoroughly exhausted and wanted a nap in the worst way. And, lo and behold, I didn't have to take anyone anywhere right after work, so I actually could have worked in a little nap before the afternoon run-around.

When I got in my car, I saw a package and I remembered I was supposed to mail it, like.........a couple of months ago. So, I decided a quick trip to the post office was warranted, since I had time. I took the package in, started the whole self-service process of getting it weighed and postage purchased, when I realized it was a pre-paid UPS label. Oops. I looked up the nearest UPS store on my phone and it was not too far away so I headed in that direction. Which also happened to be the direction of TJ Maxx. So, I might as well stop and check it out, right? Because you never know what TJ Maxx has at any given moment. And Christmas is coming up. And who doesn't want to go shopping when they are so tired they could take a nap in the bedding section on a clearance pillow?

One hour and $132 later, I left TJ Maxx. And I was still tired. But I did manage to drop that package off at the UPS store. Then, I went home.

When I got home, I loaded my arms up with my purse, my lunchbox, the mail (three days' worth because who really checks it daily anymore? And of course it was filled with political ads so it was piled high), and the three bags from TJ Maxx. It was way too much to take in one trip, and WHY do I insist on making one trip when I arrive home after shopping? It's amazing how many grocery bags I can carry. Why? What's the worst that could happen if I made two or three trips? I might burn a few calories? Seriously, I do not know why I try to carry so much stuff at once.

And while my arms were loaded with all that stuff (and it was way too heavy, judging by the way my muscles were shaking just trying to hold it all up), I ran into my neighbor and talked for fifteen minutes or so. While still holding everything. I finally went in and dropped the mail all over the floor because I reached that critical point where my strength gave out and I could no longer hold everything up. Such a metaphor for my life.

Did I mention I was still tired and had to go to the bathroom like, NOW?

So, I went to the bathroom and another neighbor stopped by and we talked for a few minutes until it was time to run a kid to an appointment. No rest for the wicked! Oh, and I was also starving. Because I had some crackers and pretzels and that was all, and it was almost 4 p.m. So, of course I went to Starbucks and got a coffee and a molasses cookie, because who doesn't want sugar when they've had nothing but empty carbs all day?

Finally, finally, we headed home (after realizing, as the appointment ran late, I would need to make other arrangements for the NEXT kid's ride and quickly texted my oldest who begrudgingly took her sister to driver's ed). I was still very tired. Dinner was ready. I wasn't really hungry after Starbucks but seeing as it was the only real food I would have today, I ate anyway.

And after dinner, I was so tired. But I had to make lunches, and do the dishes, and then I noticed the floor needed vacuumed, and Harrison needed help because a mouse was on our porch hiding in a flower pot and he wasn't about to get it out (like I wanted to?), and I decided to take down the Halloween decorations because they were SO YESTERDAY (haha, see what I did there?), and then the stove top was dirty so I had to clean it, and the dishes needed put away, and the table needed cleaning, and I had a new candle to light, and there was a gross smell in the hallway, so I had to investigate and, and, and........

The good news is I was IN BED by 9 p.m. Of course, I'm still on Facebook and blogging so it's not like I'm getting any sleep, but I am resting, right? And tomorrow, oh, blissful tomorrow, I do NOT have to wake up early. For the first time in.........forever. So, perhaps I will catch up on some sleep. Probably not, but I love the idea of it. I have such great ideas. All talk and no action. Is there a superhero for that? Inaction Girl? Ok, I'm going to sleep now..........

1 comment:

JEFF said...