Sunday, January 19, 2014

I am not a football fan........

The last couple of weeks I've actually watched the playoff games. Today, the Seattle Seahawks won the NFC championship and now we're going to the Superbowl! Yay! I sort of enjoyed the game, and even more, providing commentary on Facebook, but the truth of the matter is, I'm NOT really a football fan.

It's not that I don't like football. I like it just fine. Sort of. In a non-committal way. Because I'm just not a super fan of anything. Except Shemar Moore, but that's another story (Hello, Chocolate Thunder!). What I AM a fan of is jumping on the bandwagon. As in, I can be a fan for anyone or anything for a limited time. I just can't invest myself in anything for too long or with too much effort. I lack the attention span. 

I'm a lazy fan. I heard some chatter on the interwebs that there should be a "13th man" designation for all the people who jumped on the bandwagon once the Seahawks were winning. Yeah, that's me. I'd wear that shirt proudly. Except I'm not a man, so it would have to say "13th woman." But then, I'd wear it. Because I don't care that much. What I DO care about isn't the game. It's something else.

I care about people coming together to support a common cause. It doesn't have to be a football game. I feel the same way when I'm part of a 5K walk for charity, or celebrating someone's birthday. Just coming together to cheer on someone (or something, or a cause) and to feel the camaraderie - that's pretty cool stuff. I'll buy the t-shirt.

I love that my city is lit up with "12" and blue and green. Who wouldn't want to be a part of something that makes you proud? But I also feel the same way when my kids are in a play at school. I want the whole world to come and see how awesome those kids are. I just like celebration, and pride and a feeling of accomplishment, even if that accomplishment is not mine.

I don't like the trash-talking, the screaming at the TV, the hateful words of competition. I'm not competitive myself, nor have my kids played many sports, and I just don't CARE enough to get all hyped up about it. It's a game. Seriously. I was not sorry when my kids stopped playing sports and I could leave behind all those crazed, screaming parents living vicariously through their kids. I don't hate sports, it's just that they're not for me when it comes to the negative side of things. I just don't care enough and I'm ok with that.

I rarely win anything. I've never won a carnival game, a radio contest, or any major awards (leg lamp anyone?). The stress and anxiety of trying to win is just too much for me. I can get worked up over anything, I don't need the additional stress of competition or needing to be on top. It's not that I wouldn't LIKE to win, but I'm rarely motivated to put forth the effort needed to be a winner.

Does that make me lazy? Uncaring? Unmotivated? Sure, when it comes to sports. But that's because they're not for me. That doesn't mean I won't cheer YOU on, because I want to celebrate your success. I CAN be the biggest fan when I want to be. But when I don't, I don't want the pressure. I won't lose any sleep over who wins the Superbowl, but I'll gloat appropriately if the Seahawks win. For my city. 

And because I'm a fan. Of fun.

Also, where can I buy a confetti cannon?

1 comment:

jeff said...

You said you never win anything then Bam! Just like that you won the best gift ever - for Arlie which createa another opportunity to come together this August. Yay!