Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Five minutes.........

It all started with a Benadryl. Remember last night when I said I was going to have a Benadryl and a Bailey's? Well, I skipped the Bailey's but I did take one Benadryl before bed - I've been getting allergy-type headaches the past few days and thought this might help. But since Benadryl knocks me out, I decided to just take one at night and sleep it off.

Well, sleep I did! At 6:10 a.m. my husband woke me up saying goodbye and I groggily asked what time it was. "6:10" he replied, and I rolled over to get some more sleep. My alarm was set for 6:45. Except.....not.

I woke with a start at 7:55 a.m. It seemed a little too "light" out for my normal morning awakening and I scrambled for my glasses to look at the clock. Holy crap! I had a meeting at 8:20 so I knew I had NO option but to RUN.

Luckily, the night before I had picked out an outfit. I ripped off my pajamas, threw my clothes on, quickly put in my contacts and thanked the good Lord above that my bangs were still nice and straight from the day before and the rest of my tangled mess of hair could be pulled back into yesterday's ponytail (plus, the "dents" were still visible in my hair from the ponytail holder so it was like a nice guideline).

I skipped makeup - I keep a bag of "emergency" makeup in my purse and figured I could apply it at stoplights. No time for breakfast, so I just grabbed my bag, my purse and flew out the door for my 20-plus minute commute. I managed to put on a little makeup on the road, but it was minimal. I did get stopped by a school bus and an especially long stoplight, but I made it to the meeting only five minutes late!

Bless the soul who brought homemade banana bread to work today, because that was my breakfast. Bless even more the sweet person who brought cheese and crackers, veggies and hummus, because those were my mid-morning snack.

But the real moral of this story is for my children, who, more times than I care to count, have slept through their alarms and panicked when they were going to miss the bus. You CAN get ready in five minutes and be out the door. It IS possible.

Still, I hope I never have to do that again..........maybe I'll skip the Benadryl tonight.......

No comments: