Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Middle Place

I just finished reading "The Middle Place" by Kelly Corrigan. It was a super quick read about a woman fighting breast cancer at the same time her father is fighting bladder cancer. I liked how it did not dwell so much on the details of the cancer as much as the relationship between father and daughter and being caught in "the middle place" between being someone's child and someone's mother. That being said, it did not so much live up to the hype that made me want to buy it in the first place. It was a nice story, though. However, my favorite part is this:

"The way I see it, if you have four kids, you don't really have to do anything else, ever. Three kids is a handful, but one that many people manage to hold. If you're a mother of four, you definitely don't have to have a career or volunteer for the school fund-raiser or even bring an appetizer to the dinner party. In fact, people give you a lot of credit for wearing both earrings and knowing how to spell chaos and antidepressant. Four kids gives you a pass for every forgotten birthday, overlooked appointment, and missing form. Plus, you can be late for everything the rest of your life and never return phone calls. Who's gonna blame you? It's like having nonthreatening cancer forever. Deliberately having four kids implies that you've got the three-kid-thing sussed out, like there are big check marks next to each name, and so what the hell, let's add another one. It's AP parenting."

Thank you, Kelly Corrigan, for understanding what it's like to have four kids (even though most of those things never hold true, and yes, you still have to work, and volunteer and bring an appetizer). But I have definitely forgotten birthdays, overlooked appointments (hey, just a couple of weeks ago I forgot to take Hayley to the orthodontist. I mean, it WAS Cinco de Mayo and I didn't remember until post-three-margaritas, but still.......). I have misplaced many forms. Hell, I even once forgot a KID! Arlie stood alone on a soccer field for half an hour before I remembered to pick her up from camp. Just today I awoke at 6:20 a.m. (and that was sleeping in, past my usual 5:45 alarm, AND after slinking in way past midnight last night after beers and pizza at The Rock with Tonya). I showered and dressed and made it to the jr. high to meet with Hannah's teachers and counselor about her grades. Back home, quick bite of breakfast, work from 9-2:30. Mad dash to the orthodontist with Hayley and Hannah. Phone call from Harrison at 3:30 wondering where I am. I don't normally leave him or Arlie home alone but today I had no choice. Back home for a half hour then off to gymnastics with Arlie, Harrison in tow. Quick trip to Coscto after dropping Arlie off. Back to pick her up, home around 7. Thank God for Jeff for delivering Hannah to her 6 p.m. camp counselor training and Hayley to her 6:30 art class (and picking them up at 9!). I had to cancel the 4 p.m. appt as there was no physical way I could be in three places at once. So, yeah, if I forget an appointment, or a meeting, or to pick up someone or something, forgive me! I have four kids.............

2 comments:

Sydney said...

Just reading this made me tired. I'm going to go take a nap and my birth control now, thank you.

Mimi/Papa said...

Sydney: Hilarious! MO: All that you do, the running, the appointments, the laundry, well, I don't know how you keep up. Then I thought back to my days of having four kids and I realized I did all of that, too, and we still moved over 20 times during those days! Wow...I think I'm going to take a nap for both of us!! Love you