Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sweet!

Last night we attended Dakota's 4th birthday party and there were a lot of kids there. And, you know, I sorta like kids (haha!) so I was of course playing and talking to them all. There was one little boy who was SO sweet and kept wanting to take pictures w/ my camera. And I know a lot of people wouldn't let a 4 year old touch their $1000 camera, but this kid was like the paparazzi! He was shooting photo after photo and half of them were actually decent and he was loving it! It was the cutest thing (and yes, I kept my hand on the camera at all times). At some point in the party, Jeff came up to me and said "watching you with kids is like poetry." That just melted my heart! I think that's the sweetest thing ever. I really do love kids and I just "get" them so it's totally natural for me to gravitate towards the kids at a gathering and just enjoy their amazing little imaginations and creativity. Not too long ago, I was thinking about "careers" and I thought "well, I never did much in the way of a career." I mean, I graduated from college with a degree in English, and promptly got married and had Hayley. And then I had Hannah and along came Harrison and during that time, I realized I was continually working on a career in "children." Whether it was raising my own kids, or working at the hospital teaching parenting classes, or writing for a parenting publication, or doing in-home daycare, I've pretty much worked at a career with kids since I was 15 years old. And I still love it! And now I'm a nanny. And while some people might think that's just glorified babysitting, I know it's so much more than that. It's bringing my 26 years of experience working with kids to two little girls and learning a lot from them in the process. Myla and Dakota are amazing and Dakota's special needs have given me the opportunity to learn so much, while Myla's contagious spirit makes me happy every day. So, I guess, without really realizing it, I've made a career in children and I can't imagine any other career more valuable. Raising my own kids or helping with someone else's, I really do love my job! "Do what you love and love what you do" is a motto I can say I've adopted. But it's made so much sweeter when someone really values what you do. Jeff's comment really made my day!

3 comments:

Mimi/Papa said...

Isn't it great to hear comforting words from someone you love rather than the critical remarks made by someone who, at one time, you "thought" you loved?? Yes, you made a good choice to put the first one to rest and to go on with your life in such a loving manner with a joy for a husband now! And we have always thought you were a great mother and would remark many times how neat it was to see you interact with kids. We have always told you that you should have been a pediatrician! You are so sweet with other children, and we agree with Jeff and that you make your interaction with children a dance in itself! Waltz away, MO!! We love you! Mom and Dad

Jeff said...

Now you need to get your own show or column in the paper. That would round out the career quite nicely don't you think?

MAMMA said...

You are good with kids and Jeff is good with you...what more could you ask for??!!!!
Love, M2