Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Book Reading = Slow Going This Year!

I finally finished "Three Cups of Tea". It was a great story, but WAY too long and detailed for me. I mean, what this guy did was amazing and really pioneering, but I got a bit mired down in the details of who's running which country, etc. Suffice it to say, it was a hard book to get through, and that's just not enjoyable for me! But, me being me, I have a hard time NOT finishing a book, so I will push myself to finish it, even if I don't enjoy it. However, that leaves me with precious little time to read what I do enjoy (and life is short, after all!) so I plan to try and read something frivolous and fun before delving into "The Scarlet Letter" which is our next book club pick (and which I only have until March 20 to read - UGH!!). I might cheat a little. I'm pretty sure I've read it before. The bottom line is that I really am slow going this year compared to last in my book reading. I'm at five books right now. Two for book club, one for "fifth grade book club" at school (something we participate in with Arlie's class) and two of my own choice. I guess it is only March. Two books a month is pretty good. Not that I'm racing, but I just felt like it took me ages to get through the last one.

Another thing I've noticed is that this time-suck called "Facebook" takes up precious reading time! At night, I find myself logging on to my laptop, checking email and Facebook, instead of reading! Now, I enjoy checking my email and sending messages to friends on Facebook, but it can really get you mired down if you're not careful. And frankly, I find Facebook to be a little boring. After reading "status updates" or adding a new friend and checking out their profile, I am done and off. I don't play the stupid games or send people "virtual" gifts (please, sending me a "virtual" margarita - I want a real one!!!). I can't imagine how much time that would take to get involved in those games (not to mention they want you to send it to "24 of your friends" and I just can't stand bugging people with crap!). So, I'm trying to take more time to just read. Oh, and we just "bundled" our TV, internet and phone into Fios which means we have about 5 zillion channels on TV to choose from. The saving grace there is I barely know how to turn on the TV at all, so finding anything to watch would take hours as I scroll through the offerings. It took me 15 minutes to find the show I wanted to watch the other night. I was about to just give up. I guess I'll learn but something tells me I'd be better off NOT learning how to access all those channels. Nah, I think I'll just read a good book.

No comments: