Thursday, March 24, 2011

Fish for breakfast?

This morning Jeff asked if I would like some "lovely trout with a fresh egg" for breakfast. While that offer was kind and generous, the thought of eating fish for breakfast just turned my stomach! Who eats fish for breakfast. Wait, don't answer that. I'm sure there are many tribal communities where fish is a breakfast staple. But not for me! Breakfast is a tough enough venture on its own. I don't like eggs much, bacon and sausage are tough to stomach in the wee hours, and pancakes and waffles take too much time. As Jeff can attest, I love anything "bready, doughy or dusty (read, powdered sugar, NOT dust!)". The perfect breakfast for me is a coffee and pastry at Starbucks. But even that bores me. I've tried all the pastries that appeal to me, and there's just nothing new. However, over at Tully's I discovered an almond croissant. This is filled with a bit of almond paste and dusted with powdered sugar and makes Jeff roll his eyes every time I eat one. He's more of a sausage/egg/cheese/bagel breakfast sandwich type of person, but I'd rather eat a bowl of cereal any day over a protein bomb like that. However, no protein makes for no energy, as I've found in my many morning yoga classes, so oftentimes I must force myself to have some protein. A meal-replacement shake, or perhaps just a glass of Ovaltine might do the trick. In recent years, I've warmed up to yogurt, something I couldn't stand in the first 40 years of my life. But it must be vanilla only, and preferable mixed with nuts and/or bananas or strawberries to make it palatable. The whole big breakfast thing just doesn't do it for me. When I have guests, the most painful part of hosting, for me, is breakfast. I have a few of those breakfast casserole recipes that involve massive amounts of eggs and cheese, and I'll throw one of those in the oven, but I'd much rather have pancakes or waffles. I just don't want to make them. I think a quick trip to Starbucks (my treat!) is the best way to treat my guests. Breakfast is just so overrated. It just gets you started for the REAL good eating of the day at lunch and dinner. Yes, breakfast is the "most important meal of the day" but they really shouldn't have scheduled it so EARLY. Bring me a coffee and a pastry any day and it puts a smile on my face and starts my day off on the right foot. Incidentally, Jeff ate eggs and trout for breakfast. FISH! For breakfast! Ew.

1 comment:

jeff said...

Actually one of the best breakfasts I've had in a while. Simple and tasty. Trout filets from trout caught earlier in the week, very delicate and no fishyness at all. Seasoned with Smart Ballance, salt and pepper and sauteed. Yum